Monday, June 18, 2007

Old Man

Ok, so I know it's been a while, but who's counting anyway? This one's for Jason Bronkhorst, who was the catalyst for something amazing happening to me. After nagging him endlessly, he was generous enough to give me an inkwell, and pen with various tips to start experimenting with. The results was something astounding... soon I was drawing semi-convincing figures for the first time... something that's always intimidated me; plus I discovered a whole new aesthetic to drawing I never thought I'd be able to reach..

It's as if the pen forced me to think about every stroke I made, and it shows ...
So thanks Jason... appreciate the interest and encouragement...



an old man that just came to me out of nowhere...




Some bathing ladies.. also.. out of nowhere



I really dig the postal stamps




Quote by John Lennon : "It is knowing, it is not dreaming.. of the beginning"

4 comments:

Jason said...

It's an honour to be mentioned in such an inspiring post. Those drawings have a life of their own - great expressive line - each being alive, like little serpents writhing on the page(!?). I think because we're so 'trained' to use the 'regular' writing/drawing tools that when we get our hands on something as unpredictable and intimidating as pen and ink, we need to let go of all those inhibitions of writing/drawing nicely between the blue lines in restrained cursive. The nature of the beast is to let 'er rip. Above all to enjoy it. A pleasure seeing your enthusiasm, Marcel!

marcel said...

Glad you like it J. Hopefully there's still plenty more to come. Got lots of plans with this, and i'm definitively going to see if I can't push it into a "exhibitable" space.

Thanks again..

ST(E)AK said...

And while you two are stroking each others lines im going to fill my leftism with a quiet limp amber poke in the strict realm of the known waste land of the spirit. It is the pinicle of justice thes drawings i tell you, a small victory in a giant battle of Trafalgar...

Anonymous said...

Good words.